Step inside the majestic Lynnewood Hall

Lynnewood Hall is a 110-room Neoclassical Revival vacant mansion in Elkins Park, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. It was designed by architect Horace Trumbauer for industrialist Peter A. B. Widener and built between 1897 and 1900. Considered the largest surviving Gilded Age mansion in the Philadelphia area, it housed one of the most important Gilded Age private art collections of European masterpieces and decorative arts, which had been assembled by Widener and his younger son, Joseph.

Peter A. B. Widener died at Lynnewood Hall at the age of 80 on November 6, 1915, after prolonged poor health.He was predeceased by his elder son George Dunton Widener and grandson Harry Elkins Widener, both of whom died when RMS Titanicsank in 1912.

The structure changed hands a few times over the subsequent decades, with large portions of the estate grounds sold off in the 1940s, and has been predominantly vacant since 1952, when it was purchased by a religious group that started selling off the interior detailing.

Built from Indiana limestone, the T-shaped Lynnewood Hall (dubbed “The last of the American Versailles” by Widener’s grandson) measures 325 feet (99 m) long by 215 feet (66 m) deep. 

In addition to 55 bedrooms, the 110-room mansion had a large art gallery, a ballroom large enough for 1,000 guests, swimming pool, wine cellars, a farm, carpentry and upholstery studios, and an electrical power plant.

A 2014 Philadelphia Inquirer article described the mansion as “dripping with silk, velvet, and gilded moldings, the rooms furnished with chairs from Louis XV’s palace, Persian rugs, and Chinese pottery, the halls crammed with art by Raphael, Rembrandt, El Greco, Van Dyck, Donatello

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *